Saturday, October 27, 2007

Guatemala Update #2




Well, I have been here in Guatemala now for about 3 weeks!! Time has gone by so fast!! I have survived the elections and Independence Day. Not that there was anything remotely dangerous about them…
To start off I’d like to share some updates from my last update…
I finally did get my luggage on the Monday after I arrived- so it only took 7 days which is unusually long and we figured it was because we don’t really have an exact address. But it turns out they had everything except our town name. Which I CLEARLY remember writing down and telling them but oh well… my luggage is here!

We did end up buying a car. It’s red Isuzu Rodeo 4x4.
We ended up saving money because of the exchange rate and the guy we bought it from not knowing what it was…However, we’ve been having problems with the gears (being shaky and hard to maneuver) and problems getting it started. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. So we are hoping to have it looked at tomorrow!

My washing skills are slowly improving as we still don’t have a washing machine.

And finally Olga, if you remember she is pregnant, has a scheduled C-Section for the 28th of October and will be having it done in a nice hospital here in Chiquimulilla.
So after my last update we have now had 4 seminars.
Some highlights include going to a “turicentro” (which is like a park with a pool and river) and teaching the women from Erik and Olga’s church and then being able to go out with them a few days later to minister to their neighbourhood. We were able to encourage some people who have stopped going to church and saw 3 people saved!!


Another seminar was held in a church called Isletta and this is a small church on the way to the beach that you have to cross a river and then ride horse-back to get to. For those of you who know me…I am extremely allergic to horses however, I was able to ride a horse twice without any effect! Praise God! We had 5 pastors show up and then we were able to sit down and have lunch with them.
Other than having seminars, we’ve been having a lot of dinner parties. Friday night, we had 7 pastors and their wives come over for dinner so we could introduce ourselves and our ministry and get some more seminar dates set up. We got 9 new ones,all in November because that’s when the kids have their holidays from school and a lot of these pastors want us to teach their young people. And we are now starting up more Children’s ministry stuff. This week we are going to a public school somewhere (I’m not really sure where) and teaching the teachers (who are not Christians) how to teach Bible lessons to their students. Apparently there weren’t enough teachers at this school who are Christians so they had to hire non-Christians to teach the religion and Bible classes. So we are helping them out and bringing Childrens Ministry material to give to them as well.

On another note, one of the things that have been on my heart while being here is teaching english. So hopefully as of this week I will be going to Casa Samuel (which is another orphanage in the area) and teaching some of the children there english! Another idea was teaching english to some of the Guatemalan staff, if they wanted to do it.

So I just want to say thank you for your prayers and support once again!


Dios les bendiga!


God Bless!!

No comments: