Saturday, September 1, 2007

Guatemala Update#1: Operacion Jabes

Hola a todos!!

Well…I know it has been less than a week since my arrival in Guatemala, but I thought I’d let you all know what EXACTLY I am doing here since it was pretty vague before I left…
So I arrived in Guatemala at approx. 5:30am to find out that they had lost my luggage…AGAIN. Out of the 3 times that I have been to Guatemala my luggage has only been lost….3 times. So you can imagine how thrilling this is. I mean 1st time- I’m ok with it, 2nd time- I’m ok with it…3rd time-not so much!! But I am in constant contact with the airline and plan on getting them soon, even though it’s been 5 days. Ridiculous!!
I was picked up at the airport by one of my former Missionary Training School classmates, Allison and she was also there to pick up Nadine (who traveled with me AND got all her bags) and 2 ladies from Finland who are attending the MTS at Fe Viva. I already know some Finnish words!! Awesome!!
So I got a few hours to hang out with some of my friends who are still down here and people I didn’t get to see all summer and then got driven into Chiquimulilla, where I am now living with Carol Gleeson, the former director of MTS at Fe Viva. Our house is very cute and there was a team here who painted it all nice. I just put up curtains in my room. And the house is a nicer part of town although a little far from everything. But quiet. And we often have friendly visitors. Along with Pastors Erik and Olga Esquite from Guazacapan (10 minutes away) we are part of a new ministry called Operacíon Jabes (Operation Jabez) which is based on Jabez’s prayer in I Chronicles 4:10:

“And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, ‘Oh that you would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!” So God granted him what he requested.”

And what we do is we go to churches that Erik and Olga helped plant in our area (Chiquimulilla, Guazacapan, Taxisco, Esquintla, etc…) and we teach them tools they can use to evangelize. So we are basically training Guatemalans to be missionaries. We have 5 lessons: Evangelism, How to lead someone to the Lord, Sharing your testimony, Street Preaching and Divine Healing. (I teach ‘Sharing your Testimony’). After working with students we hope to take them out and let them practice what they learned.
Today (the 1st) was our first seminar and we went to a church in Campesino which is on the outskirts of Taxisco (15 min. from our house). It was nice going there because it was a church that we had went to last time I was here. Carol and I don’t know enough Spanish yet so Olga translated for us and did a miraculous job!! Considering she is 7 months pregnant.
That’s about it for now. I was going to include some pictures but my chord for my camera is in my luggage and my luggage is…yeah.
Oh yeah and right now we still have a few needs. First of all, we are still in the workings of getting a vehicle. Right now we are depending on tuk-tuks and microbuses to get around. So prayer for that would be good- that we find a good dependable second hand vehicle that has good papers i.e not stolen, and within our budget. Second, we do not have a washing machine right now so we have to do our laundry out in our pila, a big sink in the court yard. And also right now Olga, who is 7 months pregnant, is due in November and knows she needs a C-Section however, they do things a little differently here. Instead of just having a planned C-Section, like in Canada, they wait until you go into labour and then after TWO DAYS when they know for sure you need a C-Section, then they’ll do it. Imagine that!! Anyways we’re still waiting for funds to come in so we can buy a washing machine and be able to send Olga to the private hospital to have a proper planned C-Section. Finally I need MUCHO PRAYER for my luggage to arrive here safely with nothing missing and quickly because imagine how attractive one gets being in a tropical climate with umm…2 changes of clothes….by the way, the temperature right now is 30 degrees celcius. P.S I just checked and it’s 6:30pm.

Gracias!! Y que Dios les bendiga!!


1 comment:

Kelela said...

Yay for updates!! I like hearing about your awesome trips!! I will be praying for you!! Love you Kerry. And wow do we ever need to hang out when you get back. It has been too long. Love ya!