Saturday, October 27, 2007

Guatemala Update #4: The sun will come out tomorrow!

Well, things are starting to calm down around here a bit. We are taking these next few weeks to rest a little and focus on the baby coming. Olga goes in for a C-Section on Saturday (the 27th) in the morning. We are all very excited but praying very hard because sometimes the conditions here are not always the greatest for giving birth. Also, my friend Jasmine, who was here with me in the spring, is coming down a week from today and she’ll be staying for a month! She’s coming down for a visit, to help with the ministry and to accompany me on my English adventures. Which is perfect timing because on November 4th, Carol, the lady that I live with is going to Ghana, Africa for a little over a month. While she’s gone I will be in charge of preparing all the materials we need for the seminars and taking care of the daily house hold runnings.

Last week we went to the prison. The prison is called Canada. And we taught in the Bible school they have there for the prisoners. We taught about 35 students how to lead someone to the Lord and Diving Healing. The students in the prison are always so receptive and so we always like going there.


Yesterday we went to Erik and Olga’s house to paint their daughter’s room. Olga wanted to do something special for them because the baby was coming. So we painted their room pink and then Olga is going to make new curtains with Disney princesses on them. So the girls are very excited! After painting we went down to the river (to pray!! Ha ha ha….) that is behind their house and did a little swimming. It was so fun and it’s very pretty down there, almost like right in the middle of the jungle.


I have still been teaching English. I go to Casa Samuel, an orphanage, twice a week and teach around 35 kids. They are very excitable and sometimes classes can get chaotic but it is still super fun. They are so entranced by my blonde hair and always ask me if I dye it. And the other day, Oscar, who just turned 6 told me I have eyes like honey. They are very sweet kids! They always ask me too, “When are you coming back? When are you coming again?” and I say to them “oh you only like me because I give you candy”. It does get a little frustrating because sometimes you think that they are not learning the way you want them to but I keep reminding myself that a lot of the kids there have learning problems and the amount that they have already learned is astounding!

On top of that, I teach 3 adult students once a week. We have had one class so far and I can’t wait to teach them more. They are so eager to learn! I love preparing lessons for them because I remember what it was like learning Spanish and what was fun and helpful and what wasn’t. So it’s fun taking that and turning into lessons for them.

Well, that’s about it for now. I will be sure to send pictures of the baby!! And we finally have sun!! We’ve had two tropical depressions which means A LOT of rain! We had not had sun in like 9-10 days. Well we haven’t had sun since my last update. And let me tell you it made me so tired and I had no energy the whole time. It’s amazing what the sun can do! But yeah we are now moving into the hot season so I’m pretty excited about that.
Oh and one more thing, I have had a personal need come up in this past week and one thing that would really help me with ministry and English is having my own laptop. Right now I am using Carol’s and we are both trying to use it. So if anyone has a laptop that supports Windows XP and are looking to get rid of it, I know a nice missionary in Guatemala who could use it….

Thanks again for reading my update and your prayers!!
Dios les bendiga!

No comments: